Tough woman cop takes on VIPs and the corrupt

Jul 20, 2017

BENGALURU: D Roopa, the woman IPS officer who blew the whistle on VVIP treatment given to former AIADMK general secretary V Sasikala, is set to move on.

She has seen many ups and downs since she began her career in 2000, after securing 43rd rank in the UPSC exam. Roopa first catapulted into the limelight in 2004, when she was assigned the task of arresting BJP firebrand Uma Bharatiwho arrived on a train to Hubballi from Madhya Pradesh, in connection with a court case pertaining to the Idgah Maidan riots.

In 2007, she was in the eye of a storm as Gadag district SP, when she took on a former MLA in her fight against unlawful activities in the district. She got her own subordinate suspended for trying to broker a deal between her and the former MLA after the latter moved a privilege motion against her. An MLC from Gadag had also moved a privilege motion against her for arresting him, and she was summoned many times to depose before the legislative council chairman.

As DCP of the City Armed Reserve (CAR) in Bengaluru, she faced the wrath of senior politicians and officials when she withdrew the services of additional escort vehicles that were part of former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa’s cavalcade, without permit. She also dared to discontinue the service of orderlies serving VVIPs and politicians.

A social media savvy officer, she minces no words in expressing displeasure and doesn’t shy away from speaking her mind. She’s been writing weekly columns in a few vernacular newspapers, sharing her views on various issues and is regularly seen on news channels as a panelist.

Recently, she was involved in a Twitter spat with Mysuru Kodagu MP Pratap Simha after four senior IPS officers went on central deputation. Simha had reposted a web article on IPS officers, including her bete noire and woman IPS officer Sonia Narang on his Facebook page, that focused on the migration of four IPS officers from the state with a comment, “They knocked on the Centre’s door for not getting their due in the state”.

Shankaraiah, who belonged to Mandya district, used to travel between Mandya and his workplace in Mysuru but often stayed in the quarters owing to work.

Deputy commissioner D Randeep said Shankaraiah was not well and had recently taken two weeks’ leave in May. Shankaraiah is survived by his wife Pushpalatha, an advocate, and three children -two sons and a daughter. His daughter’s wedding was planned in September.

The eldest son is an engineer while the younger was pursuing an MBBS degree. Before his posting in T Narasipur, Shankaraiah was tahsildar of Pandavapura taluk.

His body was handed over to his family after an autopsy at MMCRI mortuary.

Source: Times of India