1 2 3

Mysore

BusinessDirectory

Movies

Sight Seeing

Mysore Sightseeing

Mysore Palace

 

The Mysore palace is the major attraction for visitors. Don’t miss the Palace at Mysore, for all roads lead to the Maharaja’s Palace. It is built in Indo - Saracenic style with beautiful domes, arches, turrets and colonnades. It is the heaven of exquisite carvings and works of art from all over the world. You can’t miss the luxuriously furnished rooms. The majestic Durbar Hall has an ornate ceiling and many sculpted pillars. See the magnificent jewel studded golden throne, the pride of the Wodeyars and the symbol of their sovereignty. It is displayed only during the Dasara. Mysore palace is built in indo - Saracenic style. Mysore was capital and administrative center of Wodeyars. Durbar Hall "Diwan-e-Khas" and personal durbar hall are of major attractions in the palace. There are paintings of Raja Ravivarma, Siddalinga Swamy and K. Venkatappa on both sides of the walls. One of the attractions during dasara festival is the Throne" which is kept for public viewing only for 9 days in a year!. "Golden Also the Howdah or used in the elephant parade in dasara festival is "AMBAARI" which is attractive and eyecatching. This Howdah weighs approximately 715 KGs. The Palace, illuminated on Sundays and Public Holidays, presents a spectacle of breathtaking beauty.

St.Philomena Church

 
St.Philomena-Church

This is one of the largest church's in india. This is built in gothic style of construction and eyecatching structure. There are two 165 Ft towers which are beautiful to view. "Krishnaraja Wodeyar the fourth" laid the foundation stone for this church in 1933 and was completed in 1941. This church was constructed using monitary benefits from all over the world. This church is visited by people from all religions in the city during Christmas. Located to the north of the city, this colossal church is a stunning neo-Gothic structure built from 1933 to 1941. Also known as St Joseph's Church, it was designed after the Cologne Cathedral by Rev Rene Feuge, bishop of Mysore in 1933. The lofty crosses on the twin towers are 120 feet high. The church looms 165 feet into the air, its twin spires touching the sky. The interiors, much like any other church, are peaceful. The stained glass lends a lovely yellow light to the interiors of the church. The beautiful image of Philomena, who is known as a martyr for Christ, is placed uncharacteristically in an underground chapel.

 

Chamundi Hill Temple

 

Home of the presiding deity of Mysore This hill is in the outskirts of mysore city and 13 kms from Mysore is the temple of patron Goddess of Wodeyars, Chamundeshwari. It is a well-known 335 meters high landmark. Half - way up along the stone steps is Nandi, Lord Shiva’s bull. It is a majestic 4.8-meter monolith. At the top is the 12th Century temple of Chamundeshwari, the patron goddess of the Wodeyars. Form the top you can take a beautiful view of Mysore’s Lakes, Parks and Palaces. The gigantic statue of the demon Mahishasura, from whom Mysore got its name is very close to the temple. You can take the “Darshan” of “Jwalamukhi Amma” temple, which is approximately 3 km from Chamundeshwari temple. In 1827 the temple was repaired by kings of mysore. In front of the temple there is a statue of "Mahishasura" the demon king. Mysore was once the city of demon king mahisha hence this place was known as "Mahishooru" and hence " Mysooru" or "Mysore". From the hill summit one can have a panoramic view of the Mysore city.

 

Lalitha Mahal Palace

 

Built in 1921 by Maharaja Krishna Raja Wodeyar Bahaddur IV, this palace initially housed royal guests. Designed by E W Fritchley, an English architect, the palace is today a five-star hotel. Now a popular venue for local film shoots and other social gatherings, a visit to the palace may help you understand the mystique of royal Mysore.

 

SRI JAYACHAMARAJENDRA ART GALLERY

 

A treasure house of masterpieces. It is popularly known as Jaganmohan Palace. Certainly worth a visit. Paintings, portraits of kings, ceramic, porcelain and glass objects the art from England and Japan, Chinese wooden furniture and carvings, etchings and Roman relics, all in all, quite a feast for the eyes. On the ground floor there are paintings and murals that depict the genealogy of the Mysore kings and princes. This ornate and charming royal residence was built in 1861 for the wedding of Krishnaraja Wodeyar. It was converted in to an auditorium and museum. It is a colourful baroque building with domes, cupolas and finals which forms a highly imaginative creation .The Jaganmohan Palace was converted into an art gallery in the year 1875. It exhibits paintings, which date back to that period. The artists of that time used natural vegetable and mineral dyes. The famous traditional Mysore “Gold leaf” paintings are also exhibited in the gallery, as are oil paintings of contemporary artists like Raja Ravi Varma and Svetoslav Roerich. It is just opposite to the City Bus-Stand and walk able distance from the KSRTS Bus-Stand or the Main Bus-Stand. Apart from these, regular cultural programs are also arranged there.

 

Folklore Museum

 

Located in the Mysore University Campus, this museum has a spectacular collection of more than 6,500 unique folklore exhibits. Wooden figures from Karnataka villages, wooden and leather puppets and other interesting items from various villages around Karnataka are on display. Don't miss the carved wooden chariot.

 

Railway Museum

 

The Railway Museum at Mysore, the first regional Rail Museum in India was set up in 1979. The Museum sets a good pattern for regional display and has good collections. A circular gallery called Chamundi Gallery has interesting collections of photographs, series of paintings showing the development of the Railways and signaling signs right from its inception. The adjacent building named Sri Ranga Pavilion houses two Royal coaches that formed part of the Royal train of Maharaja of Mysore reflecting the era of bygone splendor. This pavilion incorporates in its construction beautifully carved wooden pillars, doors and balustrades from the old Srirangapatna Railway Station. It is said that these carved wooden works came from the wooden royal palace of Mysore, destroyed in a fire accident. The saloon used by the Maharajas is now at the National Railway Museum at Delhi. Mysore Rail Museum has the Maharanis' saloon, kitchen and dining care unit. The eight wheeler Maharanis' saloon was built at Mysore Railway workshop in 1899 adjustable to both the broad gauge and meter gauge.

 

Brindavan Gardens, KRS

 

19 Km northwest of Mysore are the famous Brindavan gardens. They stretch below the Krishna Raja Sagar (K.R.S) Dam on the river Cauvery, and present a breathtaking harmony of water, color, light and music! The dam was built by the world famous Sir M.V.Vishweshwaraiaha. The garden is famous for its beautiful musical fountains. The first of These gardens are laid on the banks of Krishnarajasagar Dam. Spread over vast area , the terraced lawns and fountains make these gardens one of the best in South India. The swirling Fountains are illuminated on weekend and have given backdrop to many movies in recent times. The Dancing fountains called as musical fountains are a major attraction among the tourists . Located at a distance of 20 Kms northwest of Mysore. A Dam is constructed across the river Cauvery for irrigation purposes to cover the agriculture lands of Mandya District and some parts of Mysore district. The Dam was completed in 1932 and named after Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV. The dam is 2606 m long and constructed entirely in stone in surkhi mortar. On the down stream of Dam the beautiful Brindavan Garden is stretched out, with well planned and well maintained lawns, innumerable pools, fountains. At night the gardens are transformed into a kind of fairy land when the concealed lights near the flower beds and fountains are turned on and add a new dimension to the garden. There are number of buses owned by KSRTC and private buses plying regularly from Mysore City Bus stand.

 

Mysore Zoo

 

Home of rare species of fauna The Mysore Zoo was set up under royal patronage in the 19th Century. This zoo was set-up under the royal patronage and houses some rare and exotic birds and animals. Situated amidst lush green surroundings, the zoo has acquired fame for breeding some rare animal in captivity, A main attraction in Mysore specially for children, it also is very educative for them. Some of the animals and birds they would have just seen in books are in front of their eyes which is why the zoological garden in Mysore attracts more & more tourists everyday. Its fauna includes rare and exotic species, which are housed in lush, green surroundings. The Zoo is famous for breeding some very rare animals in captivity. A good place for children.

 

CFTRI

 

he 150 acre campus of the CFTRI (where this project is housed), was once the residence of the princess Cheluvambamani Avaru, sister of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV. The baroque European Renaissance style palace, profusely ornamented with pilaster work and lovely mosaic flooring, houses one of the country's most active centres for the research and development of post-harvest science and technologies. It offers a two-years course as well as shorter refresher courses in food technology and has been an associate institution of the United Nations University since 1976. The palace situated at the summit of a low swell of land, provides a magnificent view of the chamundi Hill. The CFTRI guided tour offers a glimpse into their activities in the areas of food processing, protein-rich food supplements, concentrates, baby foods, etc.

 

Mudukutore

 

A small hill near Talkad on the banks of the river Cauvery. The river takes a sudden turn here to the South. On the hill there is a temple dedicated to Sri Mallikarjunaswamy.

 

Nagamangala

 

About 80 km from Mysore, Nagamangala is of historic interest. The temple dedicated to Sowmya Keshava here is a big one with a tall Garuda Stambha and a spacious mantapa with 12 finely carved pillars

 

Nagarahole National Park

 

Located in the Kodagu and Mysore districts is a fresh, green world rich in forests, little streams, undulating valleys and fascinating waterfalls. The Nagahole National Park. A perfect get-away for nature-lovers. Deriving its name from Kannada,’Naga’ meaning snake and ‘hole’ Referring to streams, Nagarahole is truly a delightful spot, bubbling with the activity of some of the most magnificent animals and trees. Rosewood, teak, Sandal, silver oak the deep, fresh aroma of these trees mingling with the sounds of the wildlife –ah! A perfect holiday treat. No wonder this was also an exclusive hunting preserve of the erstwhile rulers of Mysore.

Renamed as the "Rajiv Gandhi National Park", Nagarhole National Park, 643.30 sq. km, is part of the 5500 sq km Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. It is located in the districts of Kodagu & Mysore. This is easily the best habitat for the Asian Elephant. Tigers & leopards roam in this forest. Over 250 species of birds have been identified in this park which lies at the foothills of the towering Western Ghats Mountain Range.

Department vehicles are available for wildlife viewing. The park generally has a moderate climate with three seasons : Summer Monsoon and Winter. However, monsoons are often severe and the ideal time to visit the park between September and May.

 

Nanjangud

 

This place is 25 KMs towards south of Mysore on the way to Ooty. This is a place of worship and is located on the banks of river "KAPILA" . The temple here is of prime importance, which is the temple of "Lord Shreekanteshwara" (Shiva). The temple here is one of the largest temples of south India. The temple is spread around 1 Acres. There are 121 statues of Shiva in different avatars, also there are 65 Lingas. There will be festival during March and April where lakhs of devotees gather for the occasion.There is very good bus facility from Mysore City by KSRTC (Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation) a government run bus service in Karnataka to Nanjangud and the journey is of half an hour and costs around Rs. 14/-. Since there is no good facility for staying in nanjangud, visitors stay in Mysore and visit nanjangud.

 

Shivanasamudram

 

80 km from Mysore or 27 km from Somanathapura, which is the island town Shivanasamudram. The twin water falls (350 feet), Gaganachukki and Bharachukki are the most alluring spots near the island. It was here that the Karnataka State first produced electric power in 1902. There are temples dedicated to Ranganatha, Someshwara, Veerabhadra and Marramma. There is regular bus service from Mysore. For reservation of accommodation at the Inspection Bungalow, contact the Executive Engineer, Electrical Division, Shimshapur.

 

Somanathapura

 

This place is 38 Kms towards east of Mysore. Somanathpur, a small village on the left bank of river Cauvery is an outstanding centre of tourist importance for its wonderful Hoysala temple, dedicated to Prasanna Chennakeshava constructed in 1268 A.D by Soma, an officer of the Hoysala Kingdom. The temple is built on a star shaped plan similar to other Hoysala temples at Belur-Halebid. It is a triple shrine temple, of which two are dedicated to Lord Janardhana and Venugopala, the two different forms of Lord Vishnu. The Keshava temple is a trikutachala , situated in a courtyard 215 ft. in length and 177 ft. in width, surrounded by a prakara . It has a verandah along its interior, divided into 64 cells each formally housing a deity. Rows of lathe-turned pillars support the ceiling of their frontage. The temple proper stands on an elevated jagati, which is 3/4 mtr. In height and it is sufficiently broad giving the old structure the shape of a casket. The jagati enables the visitors to go round the temple and have a clear view of the fine sculptures on the outer walls. The jagati is designed with the projections and recesses in harmony with the contours of the outer wall as is common with any Hoysala temple. The outer wall is divided into two portions.

 

Belur and Halebid

 

The sheer intricacy of the workmanship on the windows, pillars and entire stone facades in the town of Bhaktapur, Patan and Kathmandu, is unimaginable. The stone carvings on the temples of Belur and Halebid left me breathless as well. Square foot after square foot of stone was covered in the figures of the most amazing grace. Most of these have been carved out of a single block of stone. I spotted many halfdone panels - just the outlines chiseled on the stone - next to the completed ones. The artisans apperently droppred their tools when they heard of the impending invasions and fled Belur and Halebid. 155 km from Mysore, Belur is famous for the Hoysala temples of the 12th Century. Sri Channakeshava temple, built in 117 AD with fine bracket figures carved in stone, attracts a large number of visitors. 16 km from Belur is Halebid. The exquisite carvings of the temple here are the main attraction to the visitor. About 150 km from Mysore, the construction of this temple began even before the temple at Belur, but it could not be completed even after 80 years of construction. The twin Shiva temples with their common platform and garbhagrihas, one beside the other, have a common broad navranga. One of them houses the Vishnuvardhana Hoysaleshwara Linga and the other the Shanthaleshwara Linga. Both temples are complete with a main sanctuary, chambers, a colonnaded hal facing a pavilion that holds the seated figure of the sacred Nandi Bull. What surprised me most was that the grounds of the temple, with its 12 and 13th century sculpture, including Lord Ganesha and Nandi, are a varitable archaeological museum. Some of the most renowned carvings and friezes include the Bhishma Pitamah on a bed of arrows, Lord Rama hunting down the golden deer and Lord Krishna with his flute. The outer walls too are covered with artistic work of the highest quality.

 

Biligiri Rangana Hill

 

This place is a religious place, which is in "Chamarajanagar District" . 90 Kms from Mysore & 230 Kms from Bangalore, the Biligirirangana range of hills are picturesquely situated between the Cauvery & Kapila rivers. At a height of 5,091 feet above sea level, this hill stretches from north to south for about 16 Kms. All round are deciduous trees. And roaming amidst the long grass and tall trees are animals. Plenty of them! So if you're looking for a cool time with a little bit of wild excitement thrown in, welcome to B.R.Hills. Wake up to the chirping of birds & humming of bees. Breathe in fresh, clean air. Take a stroll through the sylvan surroundings. And let the cool breeze blow your cares away.

Did you know that, wild elephants in a certain place get so annoyed with white milestones that they literally deracinate them and fling them around like a Frisbee? Well if you didn't know this, let me tell that this happens in B.R. Hills. It is for this reason that here the milestones are painted in yellow and green. Camp under a canopy of stars that shine brighter here. This is one place where you can shrug off your worries, fill your lungs with pure fresh mountain air and rejuvenate your soul. You are irresistibly drawn to the enchanting forest. This is home to many species of wild animals like Gaurs, Chitals, Sambhars, Bears, Elephants, Panthers and Tigers. Marvel at the splendor of nature. Get richer with the little nuggets that naturalists are always passing on. Climb over 150 steps or drive amidst spectacular settings to get to the Biligiri Rangaswamy Temple.

 

Channapatna

 

Situated about 59 km from Bangalore on the way to Mysore or 79 km from Mysore by road, is Channapatna. It is noted for lacquerwares and toys. The Government Spun Silk Mill and the Central Silk Research Institute are located here. About 5 km before reaching Channapatna on the Mysore-Bangalore road is Malur. Here, there is the temple dedicated to Sri Apprameyaswamy.

 

Shravanabelagola

 

Shravanabelagola is a historic town in Hassan District in the state of Karnataka. The town is an important Jain pilgrim center. Shravanabelagola is 157 km away from Bangalore and 52 km from Hassan town.

Shravanabelagola got its name from the words ‘Bel’ and ‘Kola.’ In Kannada language, Bel means white, and Kola means pond, hence it is an allusion to the beautiful pond in the middle of the town. Shravanabelagola reached its architectural and sculptural pinnacle under the patronage of Gangas of Talakad.

 

 

Kukke Subramanya

 

Kukke Subramanya is a Hindu temple located in the small, rural village of Subramanya in the Western Ghats of Karnataka, India, about 105 km from Mangalore. This temple is one of the famous pilgrimage sites in India. Here the God Subramanya is worshipped for his divine power as a snake as the epics relate that the divine serpent Vasuki and other snakes found safety under God Subrahmanya.

Kukke subramanya can be reached by road from Mangalore and Bangalore .KSRTC buses are operating buses daily from these two places.Nearest airport is Mangalore International Airport (Bajpe Airport ) at distance of 115 km.The nearest railway station is Subramanya Road railway station on Mangaluru-Bangaluru railway route, which at 7 km from Kukke Subramanya.

 

Gopalaswamy Betta

 

80 km from Mysore. This hill is traditionally called as Kamaladri. Situated in one of the chains of western ghats, it is a fine hill resort. The height is 4, 769 feet. On the top of the hill is Sri Gopalaswamy temple.

The Himavad Gopalaswamy Hills, near Gundlupet in Chamarajanagara district of Karnataka and is part of the Bandipur National Park. Himavad means the abode of fogs and the hill is truely covered by fog all year round lending it a mysterious character. The Himavad Gopalaswamy hill is made all the more beautiful with 77 teertha or auspicious springs.

The Gopalaswamy Temple is presided by Lord Krishna in a dancing pose, playing his flute under a tree. His consorts Satyabama and Rukmini grace his either side and panel below depicts his cows and friends.

 

Mahadeshwara Hills

 

Malai Mahadeshwara Hills is a temple town situated in the eastern part of Kollegal taluk, Chamarajanagar district. The Lord Sri Mahadeshwara is the incarnation of Lord Shiva. It is a very famous Shaiva pilgrim centre. It draws lakhs of pilgrims from the states of Karnataka and Tamilnadu. The Lord Sri Mahadeshwara's miracles are beautifully sung by village folk in the janapada style. According to tradition there are seven hills identified in the puranas as Anumale, Jenumale, Kanumale, Pachchemale, Pavalamale, Ponnachimale and Kongumale. All these hills form M.M. hills.

 

This famous pilgrim centre, situated in picturesque surroundings, is about 133 km west of Mysore. There is a good motorable road from Kollegal to the top of the hill. The temple dedicated to Sri Mahadeswara attracts a large number of devotees from all parts of the country throughout the year, particularly during festivals like Mahasivaratri, Ugadi, Dasara, Deepavali and Mahalaya Amavasaya. There are bus services from Mysore.

 

 

 

Melukote

 

Melukote is one of the sacred places, about 64 km from Mysore. Srivyshnava preceptor Sri Ramanuja lived and taught here for nearly 14 years in the 12th century. The temple of Sri Tirunarayana also called Sri Krishna and Cheluvapulle is located at the lower hill. The Vairamudi festival takes place in March-April every year attracting a large number of devotees. A temple dedicated to Sri Yoga Narasimhaswamy is on the upper hill. There is regular bus service from Mysore City.

 

Mercara (Madikeri)

 

Headquarters of Coorg District, situated 120 km from Mysore on the Mysore-Mangalore highway. This is a tourist spot of great fascination because of the rich scenes of enchanting loveliness with flowering hills, dense ever-green forests, coffee plantations, c, orange groves, pepper and cardamom plantations, and extensive paddy fields. The climate is salubrious. The Omkareshwara temple here is a curious and skilful blend of Hindu and Muslim styles of architecture. Talakaveri, the birth place of the river Kaveri is nearby.

 

Tirumakudlu Narsipur

 

This is at the sangam (confluence) of the Cauvery and Kapila rivers. Two bridges span the rivers here. There is an ancient temple dedicated to Gunjam Lakshminarasimha. Nearby is an old peepal tree called Brahmaswatha.

 

Sri Lakshmi Venkataramanaswamy temple

 

This massive Temple is built at K.R.S Road, about 3Kms from Central Railway Station, the main portion along with the Idols were shifted from Pandavapuram Taluk, Mandya District. This is called as second Thirupathi and Lakhs of people visit during Shravana Month and the grand Brahmothsava will be celeberated during Dasara. The daily Utsavam, kalyanothsava and Phisiantrophic Service to the Society are the speciality of the Temple. The tourist community is welcome to have the pleasant darshan of the lord and get blessed during their stay at Mysore.

 

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary

 

This place is about 13 KMs towards North-East to the city of mysore. This bird sanctuary is located on the backwaters of river Kaveri. Nature has made small islands here to facilitate the birds to stay and breed here. Birds from far off places like Siberia, North America migrate here every year to breed new ones and fly back to their own place. The Department of Forests has made arrangements of boating inorder to watch the birds. Every year during May and September you can see large variety of birds here. There is separate entry fees for entry into the bird sanctuary and for boating.

 

GRS Fantasy Park

 

An amusement cum water park located in Mysore on KRS Road is becoming a must see tourist hot spot create on an area of 30 acres of landscaped garden, the park offers a variety of amusement and water based games like : Lazy River, Wave Pool, Gaint Pendulum Slide, Aqua Dance Floor, Red India Fall ( A Themed man made water fall ), Aqua Bowl, Lauding Pool, Kiddies Pool, Multipurpose Play System Atlantis, Multi-Lane Racing Slides, Thunder Cruise, Wavy & Crazy Cruise. The ideal place to plunge in to cool options of endless fun and excitement. GRS fantasy Park opens up an enormous landscaped thematically. Explore an exciting range of visual and sensory Delights along with tickling your taste buds at the various food venues. Swing in to a mood of spirited Stimulation. Treat yourself to water sports that rejuvenate and refresh. Add a dash of sporting fun for that extra sparkle in summer. At GRS fantasy Park you have the means to indulge to the max with exciting options of water rides, games and many more fun zones.

 

Balamuri and Edamuri

 

Balmuri and Edmuri- On the way to K.R.S. from Mysore, 3 Km away from the main road, there are two beautiful small waterfalls, which is the hot spot for students and nature lovers. You also come across an ancient Ganesh temple in the vicinity. Catch the K.R.S. bus and you have to get down before 8 Km from K.R.S. and walk about 3 Km to reach the spot. You can also hire a taxi or an auto.

 

Blue lagoons

 

Blue lagoons: Two Km from K.R.S. there is a beautiful island created by the backwaters of K.R.S.Dam. You can reach the spot cutting through the shallow waters. It is a beautiful picnic spot and atmosphere is mind relaxing. Risk involves while reaching the island due to swirling of water and necessary precaution to be taken. You can hire an auto from K.R.S. to reach this spot. Don’t miss this spot.

 

Lingabudi Lake

 

Lingabudi Lake, which is situated in Sriramapura, also accommodates varieties of migratory birds. There is also a beautiful park by the side of the lake. The whole place is full of green and it is another favorite place of nature lovers. It is about 8 Km from the city. Frequent buses are available from city bus stand.

 

Kukkarahalli Lake

 

In the heart of Manasa Gangothri campus, situated a beautiful lake, which is frequently visited by bird watchers, water sport lovers and nature lovers. Varieties of migratory birds visit the lake during winter and to watch those birds is feast to the eyes. The lake is very near to the railway station and bus stand.

 

Nimishamba Temple

 

Nimishambha temple is on the banks of the Cauvery river, located about 2 km from Srirangapattana on the road leading to Sangam in the south Indian state of Karnataka. Sri Nimishamba is considered as the incarnation of wife of Lord Shiva. This place Ganjam is considered as a holy place. Shrichakra is carved on a stone in front of Sri Nimishamba and pooja is performed. There is a belief that Sri Nimishamba is going to remove all the problems and troubles of her devotees within a minute. That is why she is called Nimishamba. Nimisha means a minute. Muktaraja was blessed with the boon that Sri Nimishamba will come to his aid in his fight against the demons in a minute. That is why there is a deity Lord Shiva by the name of Moukthikeshwara. This temple was installed at the time of Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar about 300 to 400 years ago.

 

Gumbaz

 

Housing the mortal remains of Tippu Sultan, his father Hyder Ali and his mother, the Gumbaz has splendid ebony doors inlaid with ivory. Tipu's favourite Tiger stripes cover the walls.

An imposing structure where the mortal remains of Hyder Ali, his wife and Tipu Sultan were confined.

 

Daria Daulat Bagh

 

Built in 1784, this Summer Palace was one of Tippu's favourite retreats. Made of teak, this Indo- Saracenic structure has ornate and beautiful frescoes. The summer Palace of Tipu Sultan, built fully by wood is today a museum devoted to Tipu Sultan.

 

Kabini

 

Nestled amidst the Karapur Forest lies a pristine piece of land that abounds with nature. Beckoning you to explore it for a wild and exciting holiday.

Playful Tigers, a scenic delight was once the hunting lodge of the erstwhile Mysore Maharajahs. The steep valleys with rich forests, spectacular pools and rapids provide an ideal opportunity to revive your adventurous spirits.

A view from the Kabini River Lodge proves to be absolutely breathtaking. Patches of bright blue pools hidden between the trees, the sun peeping through the thick forest and animals roaming free. Breathe in the refreshing air, whistle with the wind and carry home timeless memories. Elephants playing catch, Leopards on the prowl, Antelopes jumping across the bushes, Or maybe even a tigress with her cubs. These are indeed pictures that you'll treasure for a lifetime. And no one can offer it better than Kabini.

 

Bandipur National Park

 

 Bandipur, 80 Kms from Mysore

Far from the din of the city, lies a calm, peaceful land all by itself. Nesting some very rare animals and birds.The Bandipur National Park is one of the most fascinating wild-life centers. Established in 1931 by the Mysore Maharajas, this park is nested in the foothills of the Nilgiris.As you penetrate deep into the forests through the well laid-out roads, you can almost hear the mute conversations between the animals and the trees. They say that the flora and fauna here exist in perfect harmony. and it is because of this that the spot here was chosen as a centre for the din of the city, lies a calm, peaceful land all by itself. Nesting some very rare animals and birds.

Bandipur is about 220 km from Bangalore and only 80 km from Mysore. Gundelpet is the closest town.

There are three cottage resorts at the boundary of the park. One is inside the park and is run by the Forest Department, another is a Karnataka Tourism Department hotel at the boundary of the park, and the third is privately managed. It is advisable to make weekend reservations beforehand. Gundelpet is about 20 km from the park and has more hotels and inns.

 

Mysore Medical College

 

A two storey building of 1924 vintage.  This is 'V' shaped structure radiating from a grand columned entrance approached by graduated steps.

Mysore Medical College is one of the oldest and most reputed medical colleges in India. When started in 1924 by Sri Krishnarajendra Wodeyar, it was the first in Karnataka and the seventh in India. Today its name and fame has spread beyond any imaginable boundaries and its children have contributed in alleviating human suffering all over the world.

 

Gun House

 

Originally built as "Gun-shed, Guard and Office Rooms” around 1910, the building now houses a restaurant run by the Mysore Palace Trust. A quaint mixture of Tudor battlemented turrets and classical baroque features of European style. The slopping tiled roof of the central hall is lined with dormer windows. Segmented arched openings in front are framed with battlemented stonework in contrasting white. Rooms at either end are gabled with multiple-moulded pediments.

 

Deputy Commissioner Office

 

Among the handsomest period building of the city in a commanding setting, it is led up to form the park side through grand steps trusting the statue of Sir. James Gordon.  The Resident catter the 1881 Rendition of the state to whom the building is dedicated.  The foundation stone was laid on the 20th June 1887 & the building formally opened in 1895.  Arches of varying shapes round headed & flat segmented each with a floral key stone together with Corinthian pilasters, open into the verandahs which run all around on both the floors & lead in to high ceiling inner room and halls.

 

Oriental Research Institute

 

Foundation laid on 20th June 1887.  The jubilee year of Queen Victoria reign by Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar.  The building opened in 1891, housed the department of archeology besides the library both of which were attached to the University.  Designed by Mr. Brassingto.

 

Crawford Hall and Garden Park

 

Corinthian grand-columns, a heavy multiple-moulded entablature and a wide-spanned plaster-relief picture of Goddess Saraswati distinguish the central block of this 1947-vintage building. (The aureole-like crest, made unsightly by the clumsily propped up university-logo behind it, with its accompanying merlones and piered finials, has been reproduced in some of the gable-compositions of the Vidhana Soudha at Bangalore). Flanking wings at two levels, have contrasting details of balustrade and piered parapets, Roman arches and Tuscan double-columns. The edifice commands an appropriately vast foreground.

 

Law Courts Building

 

The Cross-shaped double storied building (completed in 1885) is linked with slanting wings in either side through single - storey links.  Arcaded verandahs with Tuscan & Corinthian pilasters and molded motits, run all around.  The central block is stopped with a cut off pyramid, repeated in two wings, on which sits a wrought Iron tiara-kike crown.  Pediments with Corinthian pilasters end the wings.  Standing on an elevated spot.  The building has on approximate frontage of some 300 feet.

 

Dasara Exhibition

 

Dasara Exhibition is arranged in the Doddakere Maidana, by the Karnataka Exhibition Authority, where the public and private sector industries, leading business establishments, State Government departments put up their stalls to promote industrial and corporate business. Exhibitors from all over the country are invited to display their wares this year. Dasara Exhibition Celebrations wish to utilise the royal background of the Dasara festivities to boost it on a grand scale

Efforts are made to have greater variety and additional attractions in the exhibition to lure local visitors apart from domestic and foreign tourists. The authority had approached the Government to list the exhibition in the tourist itinerary. The Dasara exhibition showcases the state's artistes and artisans, holds a food festival featuring the entire country and a range of entertaining amusements and games

Karnataka Exhibition Authority is considering long-term plans to expand the Dasara exhibition and hold it throughout the year as an added attraction for tourists. A blueprint has been made by the authority for erecting permanent stalls to make the exhibition a year-long event.

 

Hard Wicke High School

 

Originally built as student hostess by the west eyar mission around the turn of the century.  The building is planned around quadrangle.  The central section, commanding a vast fore ground, is a three storey rectangle tower of Madras Terrace rooting & finials.  The bigger arches are framed with molded archrims typical of many contemporary Structures.

 

Hoysala and Public Office

 

The two double storey buildings have a strong resemblance, both were built in 1920 - 21.  The foundation stone of the public offices was laid by Maharaja Krishnaraja wodeyar in 24th January 1921.  The latter structure was built as was laid by "Modern Hindu Hotels".  The porch of the modern Hindu Hotel (now maintained by KSTDC as Hotel Mayura Hoysala) was added in 1982 - 83 in thoughtful architectural integration it has not only served a need but added a very becoming to the elevation.

 

Nanjaraja Bahadur Chatra

 

One can do better than reproduce the comments contain in the July 1890 issue of Indian Engineering signed by one BCE of Bangalore.  "This is a large serai called after on urdy (Sic) gentleman who contributed Rs. 50,000 designed by young native assistant engineer of the local PWD & constructed by another EE of the district.

 

Maharaja's College

 

Foundation stone of Maharaja's college was laid on 27th November 1889 by the visiting Prince Albert the building is almost identical in the major stylistic features of arcaded verandahs on two floors ventilator riches with circular opening set with remarkable beautiful cast iron work a central floor of the mansard kind and projecting end blocks with smaller conical turrets.

 

Maharani's College

 

Built in 1876 and named after Maharani Vani Vilas Sannidhana, this is a structure of conspicuously European - classical features of arcaded veranda & imposingly located pediments.  An unuasally ornamental parapet, with a baroque niche over looking the pedimented portico, runs all around.

 

Rangacharlu Memorial Hall

 

Built to commemorate the services of a great Dewan, the foundation stone of this Graeco-Roman edifice was laid by Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar in April, 1884.The elevation is dominated by a projecting frontage of Corinthian grand-columns, in four pairs, topped off with a heavy entablature of multiple mouldings and a pediment containing an intricately carved motif. Roman arched windows with pilasters, louvered window shutters and sun-rise glazing, adorn the façade of a double-height hall with balconies on either side. Cast-iron parapets vary the lines on the sides

 

Clock Tower

 

This 75-feet, square tower is topped in Indo-Saracenic style, the curvilinear chhajja lending a Rajasthani touch to the domed canopy which rests on a consoled base just above the 5-feet diameter clock. The graduated ascent of the two lower storey is well-proportioned and there are handsome design-features like double- arches framing slit-windows of Early-English church architecture. The structure is appropriately set on a base amidst a well-tended circular garden. The tower is among the monuments which came up during the Silver Jubilee of the reign of Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV (1927).

 

The Jockeys Quarters and ATI Buildings

 

These from a homogenous group Kanteerava Narasimharaja sports club the buildings comprising the Administrative training Institute (built in 1910 - 12 as Guesthouses attached to the club)  The Mysore race clubs offices, the grand stand and the state reserve police head quarter complex (built around 1918 - 20 to house the offices and stables of Maharaja's bodyguard)

 

Wellington Lodge

 

Facing government houses which its distinguished tenants must have seen a building across the road this is a rather plain double story structures whose architecture is apparently derived  from the builders of East-India company rather than any contemporary of traditional school or styles of special architecture though build to house important personages (Col. wellesley after wards duke of Wellington lived in it for 2 years from 1799 to 1801 when in political charge of Mysore.  It was the first headquarters of the first commissioners in Mysore after restoration of the gaddi to stop gap abode till government house was ready for occupation terraced structure with rectangular openings the building is almost totally devoid of any embellishment the only touches proclaiming its archeological status being its size and the two wings of its east sides approach.

 

Chamarajendra Technical Institute

 

The foundation stone of this building dedicated to Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar, was laid by Prince Albert in 1906.  The building was completed in 1913 at a cost of Rs. 2.5 laks.

 

Chamundi Guest House

 

Well set back from the road unlike the east building on dewan road this 1920 two storey building has continuous veranda has stretching on either side parallel to the road sturdy looking square columns support the ground floor

 

Government House

 

The earliest British structure of its class in the City, the Government House was completed in 1805 IN THE POST-Tippu phase of political development as a focus for the new British influence in the Mysore Principality part of t. The design of the original he building – “Tuscan Doric,” as described by Philip Davies – was done by Colonel Wilks. The vast garden setting of 50 acres with a dramatic approach from the northern entrance, is half the extent originally attached to the building

 

Regional Museum of National History

 

This museum built on the banks of the picturesque Karanji Kere depicts the story of the origin of mankind, placing emphasis on the need of bio-diversity and eco-conservation.  It is meant for creating awareness and sensitizing the people about ecology and environment, using audio-visual equipment, transparencies, photos, creative and interactive programes etc.

 

Krishna Rajendra Hospital

 

The foundation stone was laid in 1930 by Sri Krishnadevaraja Wodeyar and the main building was constructed by Boraiah Basavaiah & Sons, a famous contractor of Mysore. It was further expanded in 1940. The Krishnarajendra Hospital ( K R Hospital ) was constructed at a cost of Rs. 3,65,000/- and started as a 100 bedded Hospital with X-ray apparatus. In contrast, Cheluvamba hospital, earlier known as Vanivilas Hospital which was built in 1880 with 24 beds, was upgraded to a 200 bedded hospital in1939. It was further expanded in 1954 and the new OPD Block of OBG was built in 1997. New facilities have been continuously added on to the existing infrastructure, but the most impressive of all is the new multistoried OPD building with its ultra-modern air-conditioned ICCU which along with the medical wards on upper floors was added on to the K R Hospital complex in 1998. Other relatively new structures include Blood Bank and Burns Ward.

K R Hospital has a total bed capacity of around 1330 beds which includes 335 beds in General Medicine, 313 in General Surgery and about 500 in other specialties like ENT, Ophthalmology, Urology, Plastic Surgery, Psychiatry and others.

 

Jayalakshmi Vilas

 

Jayalakshmi Vilas Mansion is a building in of Mysore city, Karnataka. It is located in the green surroundings of Manasa Gangothri, the campus of the University_of_Mysore. It rises on a hillock on the west side of Kukkarahalli Kere(lake). The Jayalakshmi Vilas Mansion houses a museum of priceless collections of artifacts. The Karnataka government classifies it as a heritage structure.

The mansion was built in 1905, during the period of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, for princess Jayalakshmi Ammani, the eldest daughter of the then expired Maharaja Chamaraja Wodeyar, at a cost of Rs. 7 lakhs. The location was intentionally chosen to be on top of a small hillock above Kukkarahalli Kere(lake). It was originally called 'the First Rajkumari Mansion'. The first princess Jayalakshmi, was married to Sirdar M. Kantharaj Urs in 1897, who later became the Dewan of Mysore. Kantharaj Urs had a house in the Fort of the Palace called "Gunamba House" after his mother. The mansion was built to be commensurate to their status of princess and dewan.

The mansion was acquired by the University of Mysore to establish a postgraduate centre in its campus known as Manasagangotri. The building was in a state of neglected for a very long time. The building was restored at a cost of Rs. 1.17 crores with funds from the Infosys Foundation. Renovation began in 2002, and completed in 2006. It was inaugurated by the governor of Karnataka on Jan 16th 2006 by switching on this new illumination system.

 

Talakad

 

Talakad is a town known for its sand dunes, located near Mysore in Karnataka. A historic site, Talakad once had over 30 temples. It stands at a sharp bend of the Kaveri river eastwards from a southerly course. Sand dunes are formed here persistently, extending over a mile, burying a large number of monuments. Talakad houses the imposing temple to Vaidyeshwara - Shiva.

Talakad was patronized by the Western Gangas in the first millennium CE, and then by the Tamil Cholas from the 11th through the 12th centuries. Talakad came under the Hoysala in the 12th century. It was then patronized by the Vijayanagar rulers and the Maharajas of Mysore.

The Vaidyeshwara temple is built in the Dravidian style of granite. Much of the structure is here is attributed to the Vijayanagar period (14th century), although several Hoysala features are seen in this temple. The eastern doorway of the Navaranga is beautifully sculptured. Colossal dwarapalakas adorn the entrances.

The Vaidyeshsara temple along with four others - Arkeshwara, Vasukishwara or Pataleshwara, Saikateshwara or Maraleshwara and Mallikarjuna constitute the Panchalingams here. These five Lingams are said to represent the five faces of Shiva. The Pataleshwara Shivalingam is said to change colors during the day (red in the morning, black in the afternoon and white in the evening).

Panchalinga darshana is a rare pilgrimage occasion, occurring once in every few years. Tradition has it that pilgrims should first bathe in the Gokarna theertham, worship Gokarneswara and Chandikadevi, and then worship Vaidyeshwara, and then bathe in the northern eastern southern and western stretches of the Kaveri and then worship Arkeshwara, Pataleshwara, Maraleshwara and Mallikarjuna, returning to Vaidyeshwara after each worship, finally worship Kirtinarayana and conclude the pilgrimage in one day.