MCC steps in to save welcome arch at Krishnaraja Boulevard
Now, the civic body has stepped in with a plan to redesign the junction by opening the two flaps on either side of the 20-foot high arch. This will not only ensure the preservation of the heritage structure, but also allow free movement of traffic.
D Randeep, Mysuru DC, told TOI that the MCC will redesign the junction under a Rs 1.5 crore project. It is expected to be completed by the end of the month. “We wanted to retain the heritage charm the junction offers while also factoring in the traffic flow in the area, mainly through the arch,” Nagaraj Murthy, the executive engineer, told TOI.
While the construction of the road began in early November, other works like construction of drainage will be completed in three weeks. The MCC will also build footpaths along the stretch of Krishnaraja Boulevard to embellish the site and beautify it with ornamental lamps to suit to its status.
Conservationist Echanur Kumar pointed out that the welcome arches were constructed in the city at major heritage structure like the DC’s Office, Maharani’s College, Lalitha Mahal Palace and Government Guest House. The welcome arches enhanced the beauty of the buildings. Their sole purpose was to beautify the city, he said. The arch denotes the heritage of the city and speaks of the historical era marked by the Wadiyars of Mysuru, he added.
Mysuru’s Seat of power
DC Office was constructed at the end of 18th century at a prominent location to enhance its status as a seat of power. The building, which is dedicated to Sir James Gordon, was completed in 1895. The foundation stone for the structure was laid on June 20, 1887. Significantly, the project was taken up within six years after ruling power was restored to the Wadiyar dynasty.
Historical awareness saves structure
Maharani’s College arch crying for attention