Dasara celebration will be meaningful event, says minister
MYSURU: PWD and district minister HC Mahadevappa this year’s Dasaraprocession will be held similar to the Republic Day parade.
After releasing the logo for Dasara 2017, which will be celebrated from September 21-30, and Gajapayana posters at the DC’s office on Monday, Mahadevappa, during the preliminary meeting with officials, said this year, the Dasara celebration will neither be simple nor grand but it will be a meaningful event.
“The cultural troupes participating in the procession will be disciplined by combining similar type of troupes into one group. Three to four different troupes will be made one group which will be led by a single person. Each group will be given separate uniforms for identification and to prevent outsiders entering the parade,” he said.
Gajapayana from August 10
Mahadevappa said the Gajapayana (symbolic march from the forest to Mysuru city signalling the beginning of Mysuru Dasara) will be begin from Veeranahosahalli forest in the Nagarahole National Park in Hunsur taluk around 11am on August 14 and it will be welcomed at the Mysuru Palace at 12.05pm on August 17.
A 15-minute movie on wildlife, elephants and forest conservation prepared by the forest department led by DCF Yedukondalu will be screened at the Mysuru Palace.
Yedukondalu said in the first batch, eight elephants led by howdah elephant Arjuna will be transported and in the second batch seven elephants will be brought from various camps in woods. “As tribals in the region are attached to the wildlife and are part of the forest, there will be cultural programmes for the people. The forest department has arranged various programmes, including music, and food arrangements for nearly 4,000 people in the region,” he said.
Civic works before Dasara
Minister Mahadevappa said chief minister Siddaramaiah has agreed to release Rs 15 crore to conduct the festival and Rs 21 crore for road work in the city. Last year, the government released Rs 16 crore for road work.
The government has earmarked Rs 117 crore for developing 17 roads which lead to Mysuru from Bengaluru. Around Rs 5.45 crore, which was pending to contractors for civic works in the previous Dasara festival, will be cleared, he said. He directed officials to fill all the potholes in the road immediately and take strict action against those who dump waste on the streets.
Jamboo Savari rehearsal
Mahadevappa said members of the public will be allowed to watch the rehearsal of the Jamboo Savari in the Mysuru Palace premises on the eve of the procession. “People should be allowed to watch the rehearsal and know the preparations,’ he said.
Meanwhile, MUDA chairman D Dhruvanarayan, himself a wrestler, suggested this year the Dasara wrestling (kusthi) should be a state-level event. “We have to promote local talent. There should be no wrestlers from other states,” he said. Agreeing to it, Mahadevappa said 22 other sports, with additional sports like chess, kabaddi, kho-kho, and volleyball, should be held at the national level.
Chopper may shower flowers
The district administration is exploring the feasibility of using a helicopter to shower flowers during the Jambo Savari.
When an officer made this suggestion, minister Mahadevappa directed him to check its feasibility and later write to authorities in the civil aviation ministry for permission. Using a helicopter for showering flowers had failed earlier. A decade ago, during the rehearsal at Mysuru Palace, the district administration had used a helicopter. But when the chopper started flying over the ground, the elephants, including howdah elephant Balarama, ran in fear. The idea was immediately abandoned.
* Minister HC Mahadevappa said the government will provide Rs 50 lakh for Srirangapatna Dasara and Rs 1 crore for Chamarajanagar Dasara
* Decided to follow the protocol; this year, only chief minister, district minister, mayor and police commissioner will be allowed on the podium to garland the Sri Chamundeshwari idol on the howdah elephant Arjuna during Jamboo Savari inside the Mysuru Palace
* Fuel station will set up in Mandakalli Airport
* Advertisement in taluk and district headquarters in Mysure, Mandya, Chamarajanagar, Kodagu and Hassan district
* MCC will take up cleaning from September 1 to October 10, which was earlier held only for nine days
* MCC, MUDA, PWD and zilla panchayat will take up cleaning in their respective regions
* Police will ban vehicle movement for 10 days in and around Mysuru Palace
* Palace on Wheels, Museum on Wheels, Heritage Tour, 3D projections, Mysuru by Air (helicopter ride) will be held
* Departments will have colourful posters with information on government programme at stalls in exhibition
Source: Times of India